10 THOUGHTS OF COMFORT - 1/12/97
1 Thes 4:13-18
1) We believe - appropriate it to ourselves
a) Doesn't want us ignorant, but to be wise with respect to the things of God (Consider Luke 24 - two on the road to Emmaus)
b) Sorrow not - Thessalonians sorrow came from ignorance (lack of knowledge)
d) Jesus died and rose again - (Gal 1: He died for our sins, so how can we be rescued from this present worry. Rom 4:25)
2) God never sees us apart from the Lord Jesus (here in this world, or departed saints)
Col 2:12 - Buried with Him
Col 2:20 - Dead with Him
Col 3:1 - Risen with Him
Col 3:3 - Hid with Him
Col 3:4 - Appear with Him
3) Asleep in Jesus (v. 13, 14, 15)
Christians don't die, just fall asleep in Christ.
2 Tim 1:9 - He destroyed death - Christ died, didn't just sleep
Lazarus was "asleep"
4) Fell asleep through Jesus
Much like a mother laying a child down to sleep, our lives aren't in the government's hands, not in man's hands, but in God's hands. (Heb 4:13)
5) By the word of the Lord (v. 15)
6) Unto the coming of the Lord
Coming should be a surprise, we expect him just as Paul did (chap. 5)
Comes to Christians as a bridegroom, not as a thief (5:2)
7) Shall not precede them that are asleep
Don't worry about the saints who have gone to be with the Lord, they won't miss out, they'll be first
"Every second counts" - Paul was envious
8) The Lord Himself
Not a delegate, envoy, representative - just Him!
9) Caught Up Together
Snatched up violently - Mat 11, Acts ??
Air is Satan's stronghold
10) We will ever be with the Lord