DEATH - 12/7/97
"King of Terrors" - Job
Romans 5:12 - Sin entered by one man, death by sin, death passed upon all, for all have sinned
- Don't fear death, it's the result. Fear sin - it's the cause
James 2:26 - Death is the separation of spirit from the body
Luke 23:46 - Commended his spirit
- Spirits can't die. God can't die since he doesn't have a body.
- Hades is the state of consciousness - comfort for the believer, torment for the unbeliever
Mat 10:28 - "Destroyed" in Hell - Destroy means to render unfit for the purpose, not completely obliterate.
- Cremation - scattering ashes doesn't mean God can't put them together.
2 Pet 1:14 - Putting off tabernacle (tent) - temporary place of dwelling. Decease is to depart.
Phil 1:23 - Depart to be with Christ - far better
2 Cor 5:6-8 - Absent fromthe body, present with the Lord.
STATE OF THE BELIEVER AFTER DEATH
Luke 16:19-31 - Comforted in death
Luke 23:43 - Thief on the cross - shall be with me in paradise.
Paradise is spoken of three times:
(1) Luke 23:43 - Thief
(2) 2 Cor 12:4 - Paul caught up into paradise (third heaven)
(Atmospheric - Astronomical - Third Heaven)
(3) Rev 2:7 - To him that overcomes, he shall eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.