Make your own free website on

Home Up Ham Radio Family Recreation Career Humor Ministry Recipes

Dear Sir:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in 
Block #3 of the accident reporting form.  I put "Poor Planning" as the
cause  of my accident.  You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust
the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade.  On the day of the accident, I was working 
alone on the roof of a new six-story building.  When I completed my 
work, I found I had some bricks left over which when weighed later 
were found to weigh 240 lbs.  Rather than carry the bricks down by hand
I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley which was attached
to the side of the building at the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the 
barrel out and loaded the bricks into it.  Then I went down and untied
the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 240 lbs
of bricks.  You will note on the accident reporting form that my weight
is 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my
presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope.  Needless to say, I
proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.  In the vicinity 
of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at 
an equally impressive speed.  This explains the fractured skull, minor 
abrasions and the broken collarbone, as listed in Section 3 of the 
accident reporting form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until 
the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley
which I mentioned in Paragraph 2 of this correspondence.  Fortunately
by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold
tightly to the rope, in spite of the excruciating pain I was now 
beginning to experience.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the 
ground, and the bottom fell out of the barrel.  Now devoid of the 
weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs.  I 
refer you again to my weight.

As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the 
building.  In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming
up.  This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and severe 
lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly.  The encounter with the barrel 
seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the 
pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in 
pain, unable to move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me,
I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope.